Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Wild Foodies

I have several friends, some real, and some bloggers, who are amazing cooks and wild foodies. I love pouring over their blogs and finding recipes. I have a soft spot in my heart for dessert. Because of my studies in health I try to stay away from gluten (the protein found in wheat and several other grains). I do not have Coeliac disease, but a mild gluten sensitivity where my throat starts feeling scratchy and itchy. Fortunately, I don't get any really painful digestive symptoms, worsening of seasonal allergies, or anything more than an annoyance. I know that sensitivites tend to get worse as the immune system gets weakened by the stress of dealing with the offending food. For this reason the amount of baking I do has gone way down. And that's OK, but it makes it very exciting when I see posts for things such as Gluten Free Cream Puffs or Lemon Pudding Cake. I won't lie, Butter and Rebecca might be my favorite wild foodies ever. They are always using fabulous foraged foods from the west.

As much I as I want to wildcraft my dinner, where I live it is not a real possibility, at least not without driving to a more remote location. I live just outside of DC, as in I cross the street and I'm there. I know there are many urban foragers who will argue that there are plenty of finds to be had if you look. I agree. There are plenty of wild edibles. My problem is I know too much. For one, there is a lot of car and general city pollution in DC. Two, the soil generally has a high lead content from all the paint and leaded gas that used to be in style. I don't really want to put that into my body.

So until I have my little cabin in the woods, far away from urbanization, I will let my mouth water as I read these blogs.

Cauldrons & Crockpots
Hunger and Thirst

No comments:

Post a Comment